Hunting the Hidden Dimension Through Fractals - Eroticbpm.com

Radio and TV Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Eroticbpm.com > Blogs > glowstickfirefly
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Hunting the Hidden Dimension Through Fractals

Submit "Hunting the Hidden Dimension Through Fractals" to Digg Submit "Hunting the Hidden Dimension Through Fractals" to del.icio.us Submit "Hunting the Hidden Dimension Through Fractals" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hunting the Hidden Dimension Through Fractals" to Google
Posted 06-08-2010 at 07:18 PM by glowstickfirefly

<h1>The Discovery of Fractals</h1>

I decided its time to spread the word of fractals. I already thought that lots of people knew about them, but every time I ask people, no one seems to know what I am talking about. There is something very interesting here that if you do NOT know about, you really should. When I found out about them, I was amazed to learn what they are.

There is a lot of information to take in on fractals, fractal geometry, and self similarity. I first found out about fractals during a television special on PBS Nova called "Hunting the Hidden Dimension". Search You Tube for this or find a torrent to download the file. It will change your perspective on the world around you from nature to technology to possibly even use of psychedelics. I am going to put information in this blog or note about whats in the video, for those of you who do not feel like watching the video. Im only going to touch on the subjects involved in this. If you want more info, do your own research.

<h2>FRACTALS</h2>

A mathematician by the name of Benoit Mandelbrot discovered and coined the term 'fractals' based on his experience with mathematical equations. When Mandelbrot looked at equations, he instantly pictured a physical shape of what the equation looked like, allowing him to solve equations so much faster. He wanted to understand the images he was seeing.

If you take an image of a fractal and zoom in on a smaller piece of it, you end up with am image that looks very similar to the image you started with. No matter how many times or how far you zoom in, its the same repeating pattern to which Mandelbrot has written an equation for. Its the same as taking a 2 dimensional image of a triangle, and breaking it down into 2 smaller triangles. Then taking those 2 triangles and splitting them into 2 smaller ones. You keep doing this over and over and over again, infinitely and you get a fractal.

"Think not of what you see, but what it takes to make what you see."-Mandelbrot

Fractals occur in everything around you, everything natural. They do not occur in man made things. Everything down to how your brain makes you able to balance, the beat of your heart, and how your eye takes in information can all be plugged into an infinitely repeating equation, creating shapes known as fractals. Nature uses fractals to create the things you see and how they operate. This means that there IS a mathematical equation for how nature works.

Artists use fractals to create images. "Art and Mathematics are very similar, just spoken in a different language." Animators use these mathematical equations to make what you see in special effects and movies, all 3D rendered images. It is because of our look into fractals that we had LCD screens and High Definition video today.

Fractals are being applied to physiology and medicine as well. The beat of your heart can be measured through this naturally infinite patterns. They can apply this to medical technology so that tumors and illnesses can be scanned and identified long before they become harmful to us by zooming into a fractal level of your body's physiology. Your body's nervous system is a fractal pattern. Eventually, it could be used as a way to cure just about anything.

Nathan Cohen, in the 90's, attended a seminar Mandelbrot was having. Cohen applied what he learned about fractals to his ham radio antennae and as a result has changed technology for us forever. All he did was simple. He saw a picture of a basic fractal, and bend an antennae wire into the shape. When he hooked it up, it worked much better. So from this, he began to redesign antennae using this pattern. As a result, he made an antennae using a more complex fractal and was able to receive 10x stronger signal and was also able to pick up new frequencies that were previously unavailable. This is where cell phone technology came from. He found that if you want to get the results he got, to get the most out of your technology, you HAVE to use self similarity to achieve this. There really is no other way to make it work the way he got it to work. You MUST use the patterns nature provided for us to make it work at its best.

In the video special, they take a tree and begin to make measurements. they start with the length of the tree. Then, they measure from bottom to top where all the branches grow out from. They then measure the length of all the branches, and where all the smaller branches grow out from that. They continue this pattern all the way down to the little lines on the leaves. They then measure all the carbon dioxide that a single leave pulls in. When they plug these numbers into a fractal equation, they are given an amazing discovery. This gave them a pattern similar to the visual image pattern of the tree. They applied it to the entire forest. Essentially, they were able to discover how much carbon dioxide a single tree can absorb, and then how much the entire forest takes in.

All of this this means that fractal geometry is revealing an underlying order to nature's impossible mathematical equation. We are starting to be able to take what we see around us and creating a mathematical equation for us.

<h3>Sources and References</h3>

Search YouTube for "The Hidden Dimension"

"The Fractal Geometry of Nature" - Mandelbrot

http://www.pbs.org/
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3874 Comments 13
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Hope you all enjoy!
    Posted 06-08-2010 at 07:19 PM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Yeah I tend to see things in images like this. Pattern-recognition, though apparently this is a mental disorder.
  3. Old Comment
    Ide call it advanced chaotic mental intuition and clarity. Besides, does it not take some level of insanity to become truly creative?
    Posted 06-09-2010 at 09:26 AM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline
  4. Old Comment
    I suppose. I don't really like the terms "crazy" and such because I do feel they are so subjective, but so is everything. For example. you can compare the genetic pairings in different races of humans and conclude that there isn't enough genetic difference to constitute a race(about 98% sameness), but you could make this exact same conclusion with sex(male/female), but most people would be more accepting of the first premise than the second. In some mental illness, there is a physical aspect, so you could term this as objective. However, the thought that one form of brain activity is preferable to another is purely subjective. People will argue from a "normalcy" standpoint, which is to say majority rules. But evolutionary speaking, I don't find this to be necessarily valid. It's mutations that bring the species to the next evolutionary peak.
  5. Old Comment
    That is exactly spot on! People dont seem to understand that all of us human beings, male, female, whatever color, are all one race. The human race. 'Normal' is just a realtive term used to define what the majority is comfortable accepting as such. Evolution is normal to me, but to the majority, someone who is more evolved is not normal.

The mutations you speak of are exactly what inspired me to write my graphic novel. Its about evolution of the species. Yes, there is a lot of science fiction to it, but thats the point. My characters all have special powers. Whats neat is that each set of graphic novels im writing takes place later and later in that evolutionary cycle. For example, the first one takes place in the near future. The second one takes place 100 to 150 years after that. The next one takes place 400 years after that. Each of the character sets is more evolved than the last, as they are descendants of the previous advanced generation. Theres actually a lot more to it than what i have mentioned but I have to keep it all mostly to myself until I copyright my first one.
    Posted 06-09-2010 at 10:37 AM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline
  6. Old Comment
    Yeah that's for the best if you want to make money off of it.
  7. Old Comment
    Eventually I do, but the first one will be all free and online when its done. Part of my marketing strategy is to pull in an audience with the first graphic novel, and only charge people for physical copies of the thing. Then I want to for a production company and start producing the rest of my comics as well as other independent artist's comics. maybe Ill do some free advertising for eBPM and GSC when I get my site up and running.
    Posted 06-09-2010 at 08:01 PM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Sounds like some good ideas.
  9. Old Comment
    thanks. I try. I do try to make use of my experience as a business owner from time to time. Like using company tax codes to buy things at wholesale prices like glass pieces for my extra curricular activities and whatnot. lol

Or buying an HD projector and writing it off as a business expense to reduce my taxes....XD

Actually, that last ones a bit easier to justify than the first one. But I have wrote off my digital camera and computer.

I used to be a partner in a real estate business so I was able to justify purchases on my taxes.
    Posted 06-10-2010 at 08:08 AM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline
  10. Old Comment
    I got booted from algebra class in high school when the teacher said that math can not be used to describe anything in nature because god made it so complex....
    I tried explaining fractals and he wouldnt hear it.
  11. Old Comment
    Thats actually very sad. If you still have a way to contact this teacher, I would bombard em with information on fractals.

I bet he/she thinks they are qualified for their job. In fact, you were more qualified than that teacher. Yeah those religious nuts hate being proven wrong, thats why they position themselves into power so they can silence the truth. The Vatican comes to mind. Just think how much of our ACTUAL history is locked away in those archives. It makes me uber sad.
    Posted 06-10-2010 at 01:11 PM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline
  12. Old Comment
    /me stays out of religious convo.
  13. Old Comment
    lol yeah i should too
    Posted 06-10-2010 at 06:45 PM by glowstickfirefly glowstickfirefly is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks