Culture - Eroticbpm.com

Radio and TV Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Eroticbpm.com > Blogs > MrLegion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Culture

Submit "Culture" to Digg Submit "Culture" to del.icio.us Submit "Culture" to StumbleUpon Submit "Culture" to Google
Posted 11-08-2011 at 06:43 PM by MrLegion

“We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.”
― Terence McKenna
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1949 Comments 14
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I don't understand what this person is getting at. Seems to me that this culture does promote people being centered around themselves and their close associations, and that IS the problem. People don't grasp the big picture nor do they want to. People are starting to wake up a little, but it's only because this shit is starting to affect them in a meaningful way(i.e. their pocket books). It isn't about avoiding cultural identification, it's about becoming that. Being an advocate for what you believe in. That is, if you believe in a structured society. I really don't, I'm a bit of an anarchist. But if you want anarchy, there are consequences to that as well. No one lives in a bubble.
  2. Old Comment
    Unfortunately, reading one paragraph of quotation is a lot like a media sound bite. Commonly we hear people quote Nietzsche saying, "God is dead," and leave to twist in the wind. When you add the rest of the sentence, it takes on a new meaning. "God is dead, and we killed him, you and I."

Terrence McKenna often talks about culture as being an operating system for the mind/brain; and that you can change your operating system, apply patches and updates with out the construct that is built for you. I often post quotes I find interesting in hopes that someone might follow the bread crumbs someplace that might induce more Ideas; but I forget that there are those whom do not have the curious mind that I have and will take things at face value.

There are a thousand more things I can say, but, I have to finish getting ready for work =/
  3. Old Comment
    I'm getting that people need to be themselves and stop looking at others saying "This is how I should be". Make your own path. Do your own thing.
  4. Old Comment
    I miss Terence. He had a lot of influence on me back in the day.

That said, I don't completely agree with him.
    Yes, it is true we should not become mindless consumers of trash. But that said, no one creates anything out of thin air. Everything is influenced by what we see around us. And even the trash on tv and popular culture can inspire you in ways you might not imagine. Shutting everything off is not always the answer. Though, I wouldn't suggest that someone not at least give it a try for a bit.
  5. Old Comment
    I just have to add, this quote is saying don't interact with any form of media. He's forgetting literature. It's not mainstream but it is still a form of culture.
  6. Old Comment
    I have to point out that that message only reaches a mass audience through media. I guess it should be prefaced with "From now on,...". Oh, and we're interacting with a media if we take his message to heart.
  7. Old Comment
    You can punch holes into any idea if you are critical enough... with enough force one can put a hole in the sternum with a nerf ball.

No thought, ideology, philosophy is perfect and complete. If it does not work for you move on. Though, if a concept makes you think and push around other possibilities, then it is worth while to take a moment to massage it around your grey matter (Not to be confused with grey goo).

Timothy Leary, at one point, indicated that we are processors of information. We consume it and spit it, process it and spit it back out in many forms.
  8. Old Comment
    Tim Leary had some crazy theories. Some very very good, and some just complete nonsense that he made up when using a little too much acid. I do like that one though.

http://www.roninpub.com/ChaCyb.html
    I thought this book was interesting. Half true. Half nonsense. That's just what happens when you trip that much. It can distort reality permanently.
  9. Old Comment
    Consume enough of anything and it will distort your reality. =)
    That is part of the reason I tend to disappear every so often. I need the time to stand back and reset my reality to what is standard for me.
  10. Old Comment
    [QUOTE=MrLegion;bt6139]You can punch holes into any idea if you are critical enough... with enough force one can put a hole in the sternum with a nerf ball.

No thought, ideology, philosophy is perfect and complete. If it does not work for you move on. Though, if a concept makes you think and push around other possibilities, then it is worth while to take a moment to massage it around your grey matter (Not to be confused with grey goo).

Timothy Leary, at one point, indicated that we are processors of information. We consume it and spit it, process it and spit it back out in many forms.[/QUOTE

You don't have to be very critical to punch a hole into this one, you just have to think on your own and not let someone else tell you how to think. The fault is not the media itself its just a tool like most things and depends on how you use them. Why throw out the baby with the bathwater?
  11. Old Comment
    Dave, I think that's what the quote is getting at. I don't know the person who said/wrote it so I can't tell if he's literally saying completely ignore the media, or if he's saying exactly what your are. Point of it all is, think for yourself, and stop letting the media effect your every move without really thinking about it. You have a brain and an imagination of your own, so use it. Bring it back to the people. I think that's something we can all agree on.
  12. Old Comment
    The most glaring flaw in this argument is the false premise: one can just shut down their intake of culture. Unfortunately, this just cannot happen. We are tied into culture, and culture is a product of our interdependent relationships. They are not mutually exclusive. Corporate American culture, therefore, is still a product of American human interdependence, and cannot simply be 'switched off.'
  13. Old Comment
    "you just have to think on your own and not let someone else tell you how to think."
    Since Terrence McKenna is now 6 ft under and unable to be reached for comment on this, I can not verify; However, as MJ indicated, I do believe that this is what he is trying to say in extremes. As for throwing the baby out with the bath water, I prefer to sell them to the English for food, I hear babies are quite the delicacy.
  14. Old Comment
    It's true, MrL. Rich people love to eat babies.
    http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html
    A Modest Proposal- by Jonathan Swift
    Great read. I'm curious to see who gets the message from it.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks