Why oldschool djs are complaining - Eroticbpm.com

Radio and TV Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Eroticbpm.com > Various Topics > Today's world
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Today's world Talk about current events, news, politics, and issues that affect our lives

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Clix
Clix is the firestarter
Points: 20,296, Level: 34 Points: 20,296, Level: 34 Points: 20,296, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 2 Days 11 Hours 33 Minutes 58 Seconds
Send a message via AIM to Clix Send a message via Yahoo to Clix
Default Why oldschool djs are complaining

http://notyourjukebox.com/2012/05/19...ou-should-too/
Quote:
Like any industry, when the money starts flowing in it attracts people that are after it as their priority. Add attention and fame to the mix and you can get a pretty nasty breed of person mucking up the works. At one time art and passion for the music was overwhelmingly the motive of DJs and producers (for promoters it is a little more debatable), but now we see more and more that money, fame, and less than admirable intentions are what drive a lot of people to our EDM world. The balance is shifting and the art of the music and the dance floor are suffering as a result.
Something we've all said as the EDM/rave scene ebbs and flows, but now it's blown up on a commercial scale that has been previously unseen. It'll be amusing to see how big business manages to ruin it

Brandon aka "Clix"
Photographer / Glow Goodie Vendor / All around super guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(glow vending // rave promotion)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sexy sploshing girls & cake)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
JGil311
JGil311 is having one of those days
Points: 1,431, Level: 8 Points: 1,431, Level: 8 Points: 1,431, Level: 8

Time Spent Online: 2 Days 5 Hours 39 Minutes 12 Seconds
Default Re: Why oldschool djs are complaining

I can respect that, but there will always be the DJ's that respect and enjoy the scene so much that while they expect to be compensated equally, they still do it for the enjoyment and excitement it brings. I have taken the time to check out peoples profiles and such here, and I admire someone like you Clix, because you habe a passion that is not shown everywhere. From the pictures to the production of a quality event, I can tell you care...I did the same thing in Atlanta in the early 2000's and loved it, unfortunately the business side of the equation wore me down. I associated myself with shady promoters who in turn associated themselves with shady performers...so I became very jaded and shut out people that really were geniune.

Point is, looking back I met many many many DJ's that while they liked to get paid, they expected their pay to be judged on what their performance brought to the event...at the time I got so caught up in thinking everyone was money hungry that I shut out some amazing artists. I guess I just get frustrated when a group of individuals gets lumped into a feeling and get shafted because of it. I agree that some of the new-school DJ's are ruining it for the old-school guys, but some of those old-school guys aren't doing anything to change the perception...post work, tipsy rant over.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
MaryJane
MaryJane is the tits
Model
Points: 45,098, Level: 51 Points: 45,098, Level: 51 Points: 45,098, Level: 51
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 1 Week 5 Days 5 Hours 46 Minutes 38 Seconds

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I never went to Raves. The scene around me is LAME. It's a bunch of kids who think they're about love and respect when really they go to rave's strictly for drugs and a bunch of people trying to make fast money. They don't care about the music and they don't care about the people. A lot of my friends go to rave's and always try to convince me to come but I don't partake in the drugs, and I'm not going to a rave to see a bunch of high school girls fight each other.

I have a feeling people like this drive away the people who actually do appreciate the music. If I ever do go to a Rave it'll be one thrown by Clix

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Clix
Clix is the firestarter
Points: 20,296, Level: 34 Points: 20,296, Level: 34 Points: 20,296, Level: 34

Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 2 Days 11 Hours 33 Minutes 58 Seconds
Send a message via AIM to Clix Send a message via Yahoo to Clix

awww hooray!!! The parties I throw tend to focus on creating a positive vibe for the overall experience.. I try to create just that, an EXPERIENCE, not just an electronic music concert.

Brandon aka "Clix"
Photographer / Glow Goodie Vendor / All around super guy

(glow vending // rave promotion)

(sexy sploshing girls & cake)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
MaryJane
MaryJane is the tits
Model
Points: 45,098, Level: 51 Points: 45,098, Level: 51 Points: 45,098, Level: 51

Time Spent Online: 1 Month 1 Week 5 Days 5 Hours 46 Minutes 38 Seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix View Post
The parties I throw tend to focus on creating a positive vibe for the overall experience.. I try to create just that, an EXPERIENCE, not just an electronic music concert.
This reminds me of this batman comic I read the other day It was a 3D scarecrow one and there was this "club" and the guy who ran it was named Bliss. He hooked up a drug similar to LSD to be released in the vents and had this whole spiel about creating an experience, not just music. There were elaborately designed light shows that were designed a certain way to flow with the music....and ya, scarecrow ended up getting taste of his own medicine (kind of, his medicine for others is fear gas) by being drugged with LSD and he got all happy and giggley. It was great... but i digress.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
JGil311
JGil311 is having one of those days
Points: 1,431, Level: 8 Points: 1,431, Level: 8 Points: 1,431, Level: 8

Time Spent Online: 2 Days 5 Hours 39 Minutes 12 Seconds

Ha, quite the tangent...but a fun one! I love parties/raves and I have for a better part of 15 years now. I seen them from every perspective possible, having been that drug hungry kid, to learning and loving the production side of it creating light and laser shows, to then putting on full blown parties in Atlanta. But I can no matter what part of it I was involved in, it was always the 100% effort that the DJ's and artists put into their craft to create an experience for those that were wanting just that. I just went to a party here in DC last weekend after not going to one in 4 years or so, and I was blown away by the production and experience, and because of that it allowed me to block out the "kids" that were there for all the wrong reasons.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
trolld4l
trolld4l is relaxxxin
Points: 18,552, Level: 33 Points: 18,552, Level: 33 Points: 18,552, Level: 33

Time Spent Online: 1 Day 21 Hours 31 Minutes 24 Seconds

shit I remember when the first raves in L.A. were in broken into warehouses in downtown{I started raving in 89} . Now the Electric Daisy Carnival is advertised in Rolling Stone at 275 a ticket. wow!!The scene has changed for the better and promoters like Pasquale Rotella{Electric Daisy Carnival} who I used to promote for, are millionaires now. I kinda liken it to Roger Water's The Wall Live. they finally have the money to make their visions come to life. I wish I could have gone to some of the original Manchester raves in England when the scene was just emerging. Unfortunately there are some really greedy promoters out there who don't care about us. They have shitty events just for the money.

"Nuke a Gay Whale for Jesus".
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
trolld4l
trolld4l is relaxxxin

In addition, most of the old skool dj's are fn rolling in the dough now too so whats there to cry about..

Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
killshot
killshot is tired
Administrator

Time Spent Online: 2 Months 4 Days 21 Hours 26 Minutes 11 Seconds
Send a message via AIM to killshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolld4l View Post
In addition, most of the old skool dj's are fn rolling in the dough now too so whats there to cry about..
I dunno. Quite a few of the oldschool dj's have faded away and moved on to other things or are still struggling to make a few hundred bucks a show.

Yeah there are some of the big name pioneers that are still around and doing quite well. But it is quite a small number.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
trolld4l
trolld4l is relaxxxin

Ya true that! I think most of the dj's I grew up with are still doing it and making it big, some aren't .